Friday, April 18, 2008

Some re-watched favorites and another foreign film

So far this week I have gotten through two of my favorite movies and watched a second foreign film dealing with death.




Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Directed by: Michel Gondry
Starring: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet


Acting / Dialogue (8): Watching this again I realized that Carrey and Winslet's performances are somewhat mitigated by the performances of the rest of the cast. They are awesome, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood and others leave something to be desired.

Cinematography / Effects / Music (10): The music and camera effects are great, from the visuals of Joel's memory being erased, to the dark hall spotlight scenes.

Plot Originality / Effectiveness (10): A tremendous story line and a very unique plot concept, if only the technology were real.

Viewing Experience (10): This movie is currently in my top 5 of all time and it didn't disappoint on the second viewing.

Cumulative: 9.5




Garden State (2004)
Directed By: Zach Braff
Starring: Zach Braff, Natalie Portman



Acting / Dialogue (8.5): On the second time through I was getting worried that I had somehow overrated this the first time. Then I realized that its not until Portman shows up that this movie takes off. Braff and Portman are believe able and the rest of the cast supports them well.

Cinematography / Effects / Music (8.5): The music through the whole movie is awesome and the camera is above average.

Plot Originality / Effectiveness (8.5): Coming of age movies are many but this is my favorite. It doesn't focus on sex and instead deals with the demons of growing up.

Viewing Experience (9): This once again rates highly on my list and it may be that I overrate it because my age allows me to relate to the characters so well, in any case it is a must see.

Cumulative: 8.625





The Sea Inside (2004)
Directed By: Alejandro AmenĂ¡bar
Starring: Javier Bardem


Acting / Dialogue (8)

Cinematography / Effects / Music (8)

Plot Originality / Effectiveness (7.5)

Viewing Experience (7.5)

Cumulative: 7.75






Play Misty For Me (1971)
Directed By: Clint Eastwood
Starring: Clint Eastwood



This film started the whole stalker/crazy person genre.

Acting / Dialogue (5)

Cinematography / Effects / Music (5)

Plot Originality / Effectiveness (8)

Viewing Experience (4)

Cumulative: 5.5

No comments: