Sunday, August 10, 2008

Back with a Vengance

No, I didn't completely stop watching movies for 2 months. I've just been a bit lazy about posting my thoughts. I've actually been quite active in terms of movie watching. Because my time still has some value to me, I'm not going to even attempt to post reviews from all the films that I've watched since my last post. Instead, I'll focus on the four films I watched this weekend while my wife was away for a wedding.

Batman Begins (2005)

Directed by Christopher Nolan
Starring Christian Bale & Katie Holmes

I saw this film when it was first released on DVD. I figured I'd get myself familiar with the story line once again with the anticipation of viewing the Dark Knight soon.

Acting: (8.5) The overall performances from a stellar cast far surpass typical comic book movies. The talentless Holmes and few corny lines of dialouge are the only thing keeping me from giving out a 9.

Effects / Cinematography: (9) This is obviously where most comic book movies focus their efforts. Batman Begins stands alone in terms of cinematography. While the effects aren't quite as big and flashy as Spidy or Hulk, the camera work is superb. Nolan's Gotham is haunting, but familiar.

Plot: (8) Here is where most comic book movies ask the viewer to give up reason and simply enjoy the ride. This is a film about the origin of Batman. Compared to other stories that I've seen, it's pretty good. In fact, it's probably the most plausible story of origin for a super hero that I can remember.

Experience: (8.5) Batman Begins is as good as any comic book movie that I've seen. I hesitate say it's the best only because of Spiderman 2. Either way, it provides solid drama and incredible action.

Cumulative: (8.5)


Others this Weekend:

Be Kind Rewind (2008)
Directed by Michael Gondry
Starring Jack Black & Mos Def

Acting: 5.5
Effects: 5
Plot: 7
Experience: 6

Overall: 5.5


The Bank Job (2008)
Directed by Roger Donaldson
Starring Jason Statham

Acting: 6.5
Effects: 6
Plot: 7.5
Experience: 6

Overall: 6.5

Drillbit Taylor (2008)
Directed by Steven Brill
Starring Owen Wilson & Leslie Mann

Acting: 4.5
Effects: 5
Plot: 4
Experience: 4.5

Overall: 4.5

No comments: