Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Happening...



The Happening (2008)
Directed By: M. Night Shyamalan

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel




Since the moment I first saw the previews for this it was on my must see list. I even got out of work early just to see it on opening day. M. Night has been a favorite director of mine and I have always been one to apologize for him and stick up for him. The Village was slightly disappointing but I got through it and I could appreciate it in future viewings. Lady in the Water was saved by the performance of Paul Giamatti, so for this movie I was just hoping that it was not another let down.

A side note Night is probably the best trailer guy in Hollywood, even if its a disappointing movie he will have a trailer that makes it look awesome.

Unfortunately my faith in MNS has evaporated. This movie was terrible. Casting was poor, acting was uninspired, the script was wretched. Very few scenes provided any redemption. The idea was plausible but the execution was rushed. Wahlberg's line delivery (to the train crew for example) was unemotional and forced. I never believed that they were in fear of anything. The second part of the movie including the "old lady" scenes were completely strange. There was no reason given as to the importance of her character or the reason for her. Just an overwhelmingly disappointing movie.

Acting: (3.5)
Effects: (6.5)
Plot: (6.5)
Entertainment: (3)

Cumulative: (4.875)




Broadcast News (1987)
Directed By: James L. Brooks
Starring: William Hurt, Albert Brooks, Holly Hunter




A solid film that never tries to be more than it is. Reminds me a lot of the Wes Anderson films, if they weren't so crazy.

Acting: (9)
Effects: (7.5)
Plot: (8)
Entertainment: (8)

Cumulative: (8.125)




Sunshine (2007)
Directed By: Danny Boyle
Starring: Chris Evans, Cillian Murphy




A decent Sci-Fi flick that is redeemed by the quality of the special effects. It has to be said that Cillian Murphy is one of my least favorite actors, ever.

Acting: (6)
Effects: (8)
Plot: (8)
Entertainment: (7)

Cumulative: (7.25)





Adaptation. (2002)
Directed By: Spike Jonze
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Meryl Streep, Tilda Swinton





An overwhelmingly unremarkable film. Cage is mediocre and the editing for the scenes in which he plays both brothers are incredibly poor. You can hear the sound difference in their dialogue which makes it the performance that much more unbelievable.

Acting: (6)
Effects: (6)
Plot: (6)
Entertainment: (6)

Cumulative: (6)




Stranger than Fiction (2006)
Directed By: Marc Forster
Starring: Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman




A unique story that just seemed like too much of a role for Will Ferrell. I never believed the sincerity of his performance. Hoffman was great as usual and Emma Thompson was decent as well.

Acting: (6.5)
Effects: (7.5)
Plot: (8)
Entertainment: (7)

Cumulative: (7.25)




The Cell (2000)
Directed By: Tarsem Singh
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Lopez, Vincent D'Onofrio




A film that I think is a little under appreciated. The visuals are pretty strong in spite of the mediocre acting. The story is decent and even though it tries hard to be a Silence of the Lambs type movie the visuals alone make it worth watching.


Acting: (6.5)
Effects: (8)
Plot: (7.5)
Entertainment: (7)

Cumulative: (7.25)





The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Directed By: Daniel Myrick, Eduardo Sánchez
Starring: Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, Michael C. Williams




I can remember back to the high school days when one of my classmates swore this movie was a true story and that the actors really were missing. Even after explaining to her that I saw Heather Donahue on a late show appearance she still did not believe me. I saw this movie in the theater 3 times and maybe it is because I am a hunter and I have to traipse around in the woods after dark, but in my opinion at the time I thought this was one of the best scary movies I had ever seen. For a couple years after watching it as I was walking back to the woods in the pitch black I at least thought about the idea of someone being out there. So almost ten years later I got to re watch this movie and I still found it intriguing. Granted I found Heather Donahue to be INCREDIBLY annoying but the uniqueness to the movie that makes this one of my favorite scary movies of all time was still there.


Acting: (4)
Effects: (9.5)
Plot: (9.5)
Entertainment: (9)

Cumulative: (8)




Things we Lost in the Fire (2007)
Directed By: Susanne Bier
Starring: Halle Berry, Benicio Del Toro



Benicio Del Toro proves again why he is one of my favorite actors and while Halle Berry's performance is solid as well there were parts of the plot that were just a touch on the unbelievable side. On the surface though the story is good.

Acting: (8.5)
Effects: (8)
Plot: (7)
Entertainment: (7.5)

Cumulative: (7.75)


No comments: