Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A few more oldies...

The last seven movies represent an interesting mix of classics and run of the mill films. The biggest surprise was Sophia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides. A dark comedy about coming of age in the 1970's I thought everything was done pretty well. The Outsiders represented a slightly different coming of age movie stemming back to the 1960's. The cast was extremely strong and represented pretty much every major movie star of the 80's. The Age of Innocence was an intriguing film considering it was directed by Martin Scorsese. Definitely a different film than I have ever seen from him. Daniel Day-Lewis puts in another memorable performance and moves further up my favorite actor list. The last note was on the film Sunset Blvd. This is listed as #16 on AFI's list of the greatest movies of all time. I was extremely disappointed with it. Gloria Swanson's performance may be the most overrated performance of all time. I did appreciate the cinematography of the film, but everything else left me saddened that this film is so highly regarded. I can understand that it was a major attack on the Hollywood lifestyle at the time and openly mocked the whole concept, but in watching it as a stand alone film with no background into the production purpose etc. I feel it was just an average film.




The Virgin Suicides (2000)
Directed By: Sophia Coppola
Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Josh Hartnett, James Woods, Kathleen Turner


Acting: (7)
Effects / Cinematography: (8.5)
Plot: (8.5)
Entertainment: (8)

Cumulative: (8)




The Outsiders (1983)
Directed By: Francis Ford Coppola
Starring: Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, Diane Lane


Acting: (7.5)
Effects / Cinematography: (7.5)
Plot: (8)
Entertainment: (8)

Cumulative: (7.75)



The Age of Innocence (1993)
Directed By: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer, Winona Ryder



Acting: (8)
Effects / Cinematography: (7.5)
Plot: (7.5)
Entertainment: (7.5)

Cumulative: (7.625)




Sunset Blvd. (1950)
Directed By: Billy Wilder
Starring: Gloria Swanson, William Holden




Acting: (6)
Effects / Cinematography: (8)
Plot: (7)
Entertainment: (7)

Cumulative: (7)





Prince of the City (1981)
Directed By: Sidney Lumet
Starring: Treat Williams, Jerry Orbach


Acting: (7)
Effects / Cinematography: (6.5)
Plot: (7.5)
Entertainment: (7)

Cumulative: (7)




Buffalo Soldiers (2001)
Directed By: Gregor Jordan
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Ed Harris



Acting: (5.5)
Effects / Cinematography: (6)
Plot: (6)
Entertainment: (6)

Cumulative: (5.875)




Frankie & Johnny (1991)
Directed By: Garry Marshall
Starring: Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer




Acting: (6)
Effects / Cinematography: (5)
Plot: (6)
Entertainment: (5.5)

Cumulative: (5.625)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to say I disagree with you on Sunset....one of the best ever...

LD said...

Can you explain to me why it is so good. I didn't even think it was the best movie I have seen from that year let alone all time. I felt the performances were over done and I am not convinced that Holden is a star. He wasn't the best actor in any of the three movies I have seen him in. I would love to hear the opposite view, but I want to know why you disagree.